Sunday, August 24, 2008

weather

Sunday night and thinking about the weekend we just finished.

The weather was perfect for my fickle internal thermometer. The weather is always somewhat of a mild surprise to me--mainly because I rarely watch weather reports on TV or pay attention to them on the radio. This is one of those differences that define people--as in you either pay attention to weather reports or you don't much care.

I happened to marry a man who comes from a family of serious weather watchers. I might even say they're a bit obsessive about watching weather reports especially when it inclement weather is on the horizon. This then becomes an ongoing topic of conversation--and if the particular weather issue lasts for days, so does the conversation, in person or over the phone lines. I understand that the weather watching habit hearkens back to their roots in farming but.....

...it makes me crazy sometimes. If the weather's going to be lousy its going to be lousy whether I know about it ahead of time or not. If I'm going to get hurt in two days, I'd just as soon not spend the next 48 hours hearing the predictions about it, having someone track it and talk on and on about it. Let it catch me by surprise. My thoughts are similar about weather watching. A quick sentence or two is all I want to know--"rain all day tomorrow", "nothing but sunny skies tomorrow", "its going to snow for three days-have fun and drive carefully" or something like that.

I don't know why I'm complaining about this--probably because I'm a crabby middle-aged woman but I'd like you to remember that I did start out saying that the weather was perfect this weekend--so I'm not all crabby all the time.






No comments: