Saturday, August 16, 2008

Vacation Recap

We, Mr. Wonderful, the little darlings and I, just returned from our week road trip from Minnesota, through Iowa, to Kansas City, then to St. Louis, back through Iowa and home again.

In Kansas City we cheered the Minnesota Twins on even though they lost to the KC Royals. We saw some people we know from Red Wing so that was extra fun--(hope you had a good trip home Don and Kac, Luke and Jessie?). We raced go-karts, played mini-golf--which my family likes but is some kind of mini-hell to me so I took pictures. We went to the Starlight Theater, which is a big outdoor theater at the KC Zoo and saw "Fiddler on the Roof"--the family was humoring me by going but ended up really enjoying it. A visit to the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library proved more fun than you can imagine (I'm not being facetious either-ask the little darlings). We found a couple of disk golf coursed so the kids could play and I enjoyed the museum about the people who crossed the frontier in wagon trains.

On to St. Louis where the first stop was the Arch. Man o' man, how did those guys who built it dare to be up that high. Pretty amazing. The film before the ride to the top was almost better than the trip up. We then toured the Anhueser Busch beer factory which was a little like being in Pleasantville--but a couple of people in our party enjoyed the free beer. A highlight of the trip was the St. Louis Art Museum--not because I'm so artistically minded--but because it's such a beautiful building in such a beautiful setting. Very impressive. The art was good too.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a travelogue but guess I got carried away. I'm already planning my next trip to both cities to do all the things I missed this time.
Hope my memory lasts that long.

No comments: