Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It was National Night Out here tonight (and across the nation I presume). In our neighborhood, thanks to some people who are much more organized than me, there was a progressive picnic starting at one end of the neighborhood for the main course and moving to the other end for dessert. The fire truck and ambulance came as well as city council representatives. Games and grab bags for the kids and gift certificates from local merchants added to the festivities.


But, of course, it was talking to the neighbors that made the night fun.


I know that not every neighborhood across the nation, or even in my town, participated in National Night Out, and I know that as a society we're more mobile and less likely to know our neighbors and that books like "Bowling Alone" (which I haven't read-but have read about-how's that for lazy) talk about how we are less engaged in our communities, but tonight between Third and Fourth St., from Cedar down to Dakota,

No comments: