Monday, September 1, 2008

I've been watching just a little bit of the news coverage of the Republican National Convention--well, actually, none of the convention, just the protester and police stuff, so far. It disturbs me.

In theory, I support protesting because I think its necessary. Obviously different levels of protesting have more or less effective and appropriate uses --letter writing, speaking out loud in public and private forums, directing money to groups that can protest on a larger more effective scale, art of any medium, and getting involved in processes to change whatever you're protesting. Where it gets a bit murkier for me is in the physical action phase---not so much marching or standing, carrying signs that respectfully but pointedly state a position, marching, or sitting down and refusing to move---but the dressing up, throwing things, dumping things, and destroying things just because they're in the way or belong to someone on the other side of the issue. And trying to hurt people is way beyond protesting and moving into vengeance, or some deeper issues.

The newscasts, I'm sure, are showing the more sensational of the protesting action--at least so far. They've shown the wild protesters being advanced upon by law enforcement and dragged off to presumable arrest. Unfortunately, the news has been so distracted by all that drama that the message of their protest was lost. And even more unfortunate is that the credible, thoughtful and mature --maybe not the right words (but I hope you know what I mean)--protest groups aren't getting the attention that would probably be more meaningful.

Maybe you should have to show you've been protesting for a certain length of time before your protest organization lets you show up for the big events. Put in your time so to speak.

In Red Wing, there have been a group of people protesting the war in Iraq since the start. They have protested in the park, by the highway every single Friday for the duration---and they are at the RNC to continue their protest---and it irks me that some protesters who haven't really thought it out are acting like idiots and diverting attention from the serious work some serious people have done to protest this war.

Back to that crabby middle-age again...

1 comment:

gerbmom said...

Hey Wendy - thanks for stopping by my blog! BTW - I loved and agreed with your post about Christian Radio. I am shaking my head on a daily basis about what I hear on the way to work.... but somehow I just can't change the station. Something about watching a trainwreck and not being able to look away? LOL.
Blessings! :)