Sunday, September 7, 2008

women in church

I was sitting in the balcony at church today during the worship service with two of the little darlings. I think it was during the sermon when it hit me that all the "up front" participants in worship today were women. All three pastors-our regular one (though sadly for us, she's leaving in a week), the interim pastor, and a visiting preaching pastor were all women, the music leader was a woman and the lector was a woman. Even the acolyte was a girl.

Now, I'm not bringing this up to say that this service was any better or different just because it was run by women. I'm only noting it because I think its the first time in my life I've ever experienced an all-woman-run service (of course, I'm counting on the members of the trinity being asexual). And it made me thankful that my children are living in a time when such an event isn't even noticed by them or if I pointed it out, they'd probably say, "yeah, so?". I think the LCA, one of the groups that joined to form the ELCA, started ordaining women in 1970 and sadly there are still a lot of denominations that don't ordain women.

Even with all those women up front, teaching and preaching, and leading men and women alike and doing it with their heads brazenly uncovered, (1st Corinthians 11:1-16) God was present and His work was being done. It was remarkable only because it was unremarkable to all those at that service this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are reasons why many churches now have only women in leadership roles. "Why Men Hate Going To Church" is a new book written by
David Murrow.

gerbmom said...

hey - thanks for stopping by my blog!
I thought I left you a comment the other day on your Christian Radio post, but I must have had a senior moment and forgot to hit publish. Ooops! Anyway - I enjoy your blog!