Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sidelines

The youngest of our little darlings went to her first school dance the other night. Knowing her personality, we knew she would never be one of the kids that would actually get out and dance or jump around or do whatever they do in the middle of the floor that passes for dancing these days. She's a cautious girl who has a strong need to know what she's getting into and if there's any chance at all that she'll look silly, she won't be taking part, only observing.

Sometimes, it makes me a little sad for her. I want to be able to help her see that living life on the sidelines isn't near as much fun as jumping in and letting loose,whatever the activity may be (except rock climbing, duh!). Its taken a lot of years--and self-talk, sometimes downright sarcastic rude self-talk, but I think I've finally learned the lesson and am applying it to my own life.

So here's my mid-life mini-manifesto (if I was really clever, I would insert a You Tube clip of a drumroll): If I want to do it, I'm going to do it. I'm not going to live on the sidelines worrying about what other people might think or say. You should all be thankful I'm not interested in ballet--because with this body it could get ugly.

Now comes the more difficult task of gently continuing to teach/coax/reassure my little darling that life is more fun lived than watched.

No comments: