Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tourist Traps

In an earlier posting, I mentioned that there are two types of people in the world (those that like watching the weather reports and those that don't). Now as I get ready to write this posting, I want to divide the people in the world into two groups again. I have a feeling this dividing of people in two groups is going to be happening a lot in the future.

There are two kinds of people; those who love tourist traps and those who hate them. I love them. If you build it and make the sign big enough and flashy enough, I'll find it eventually.

Just a partial list:


the world's largest ball of twine-now there's a hobby

a real marshmallow factory-my mom and sisters were less than thrilled

the Liberace Museum-loved it

Gatorland-saw death with every misstep

the Mark Twain Cave -spelunking without risk, perfect

Bear Country USA-they mean it when they tell you to keep your windows closed

Rubber Rainbow Condom Company-you'll have to ask for details

Storybook Island-kind of odd but...

Ripley's Believe It or Not--oh yes, I believe

and Wall Drug--for us lovers of tourist traps, this is our Taj Mahal

Sometimes I need a quiet, maybe even a lonely, place to restore my equanimity and to bring my social skills up to an acceptable level but most of the time I'm ready to follow the directions on the sign to the next, "not to be missed, fun for all, come and see" roadside attraction. And when I'm there, I'll invariably decide that I have to buy something (except, ironically, not at the Rubber Rainbow Condom Company) and that always adds to my fun. So now, the tourist trap people are happy and I'm happy--how great is that.

1 comment:

Pa Rock said...

Hey Wendy,
The only one on your list that i have been to is Wall Drug - and it definitely is a "must see"! Those all sound like fun stops along life's highway.

I wonder if all social workers aren't just a little off-center in their interests!

Rock