Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Potlucks

A potluck, also called a covered dish supper, faith supper, a carry-in or Jacob's supper in different parts of the country or cultures, is in my estimation, consistently one of life's best culinary experiences. It's been a good week for me, I've been to two--nearly reason enough to raise my arms and praise the Lord (but behavior like that could get me barred from future feasts in my Scandinavian Lutheran neighborhood so I won't be risking it).

A potluck may seem like a free for all to the uninitiated but to pull off a good one takes some top-notch organizational skills. Some have themes, some have part of the menu provided, some require only some of the eaters to bring food. The organizer has to decide how many main dishes, salads--vegetable, pasta or fruit, breads, desserts, beverages (if not provided). Are the plates and utensils going to be provided or should everyone bring their own?--but even then someone will forget, you have to have spares. Bring a big sturdy plate--no flimsy nine incher.

My least favorite potluck was at an all natural, organic food store. Not only did it have the most unidentifiable foods, they were mostly inedible, at least to my cream of mushroom soup trained palate. My favorites are church potlucks when there are a lot of older women who don't have any fancy ideas about food. Hotdishes, jello salad, hotdishes, buttered buns, hotdishes, more jello salad, and another dozen or so hotdishes.
Hallelujah! Amen!!

2 comments:

kula said...

potlucks and reading your blog are both "comfort foods" that warm my existence.

laurablair said...

I won't tell anyone if I see you dancing wildly with your arms above your ahead...ahem...although this is a rather "sedate" neighborhood and I would be a bit embarrased.... :) You should have a "hotdish" bookclub meeting!