Thursday, October 9, 2008

art studio ramble

Last weekend my friend, Gina, and I went on a tour of art studios in western Wisconsin. I think we saw about 10 or 12 studios and drove about 100 miles. My vocabulary for talking about art is so limited--I don't know how to tell you about the great stuff we saw. Pottery, painting, sculpture, jewelry, glass work, photography, woodworking, iron smithing-and variations in each category. It was phenomenal. It was cool, beautiful, inspiring, calming, exciting and on and on.

My appreciation of art is uninformed and unsophisticated. I don't know what makes art good or bad and have only a minuscule bit of knowledge about technique or style-- enough to recognize the difference between a Picasso and Monet, and that's about it. But, as we cretins like to say, I know what I like and you can bet your crayolas I saw a lot that I liked on Saturday. It would have been fun, (in a "look at me, I just won the lottery" way), to be able to buy something from each artist just to show them how much I appreciate what they do.

The artwork was great, the weather was perfect, the scenery wonderful and as an added bonus, I got to spend the day with Gina, who, it could be said, is a piece of art herself.

No comments: