Sunday, January 4, 2009

Easily Informed

C. S. Lewis, in one of his books (I can't remember which one) said this about his father, "He was not a man easily informed". What a great way to describe someone who just doesn't seem to listen to what you're trying to tell them. Not only have I met people like that, I've been that person.

I think we can categorically put teenagers on the list of people "not easily informed"--it'd be easier to include them all and them delete the few that don't belong. Creationists might be another category of people that could belong though I'm willing to bet they'd say the same about people who believe in evolutionary theory. Its probable that all extremists in any area are a bit difficult to inform. Mr. Wonderful would probably consider me not easily informed because every time he tries to show me something on the computer I just about run away.

There is an old axiom that says the more I know the more I know I don't know--and that is certainly true for me. So one of my resolutions for this year is to be more easily informed. That means I'm going to do a better job of listening to people and going to make a point to explore some new (for me) ideas and activities.

Cheryl Wheeler has a song titled, "Frequently Wrong but Never in Doubt". Let's hope I don't move in that direction with all my new learning I do with all my new improved listening this year.

No comments: